Thursday, November 12, 2009

I now understand what they're talking about in Racism 101

Today, I felt what it is like to be discriminated against. My boyfriend's parents don't approve of our relationship because I don't call myself a Christian. Now I have nothing against his parents, and I would love for them to get to know me better and vis versa. The thing I don't understand is, shouldn't people who are already "Christians" take the hand of someone who doesn't know the light of God and show them the way, instead of discriminating against them. This was always what I was taught. I know that I don't affiliate myself with religion, but I do attend church every now and then. I will confess, I haven't felt religious since about 7th grade, my life was just turned around, and I'm not quite sure how or why. This in no way means that I'm not open for finding that part of me agian.

I completely broke down at hearing that I was not approved of. One of the highest wants of a girlfriend is for her boyfriends parents to like her. I am an open-minded, liberal person. I'm am open for learning new things. I have kind heart, a warm disposition, I'm very positive, and I always thought of myself as a great people person. I would like to know what makes me undesirable to a parent, besides the fact that I don't practice religion right now. I just can't describe my distraut feelings and my utter shock.

I know that religion is a big part of their lives, but I want to be too. That's tough competition.

I believe that if your child loves someone and they can express this to you, you should honor their hapiness, no matter that persons religion, affiliation, whatever. Maybe I will find God one day, or whatever. Maybe Gordon will be the one to show it to me. I would really love for him to be the one.

I'm just really let down, and I want this feeling off of my chest. It's killing me :(



I may end up writing more, depending on what I'm thinking the rest of the day/week/forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment